Monday, October 11, 2010

I POPPED ONE KIND OF DERBY CHERRY.

i went to my first roller derby bout on saturday, featuring london roller girls.



SUFFRAJETS VS. STEAMROLLERS











HARBOUR GRUDGES VS. ULTRAVIOLENT FEMMES























steam rollers won 148 - 66, and harbour grudges won 168 - 42.





it was awesome. i went with my friend jasmine with whom i spent most of my first year with, despite the fact she was in london. we used to go to a whole lot of libertines gigs.. i hadn't realised she was in anyway into derby until she texted me on my way to birmingham that she wanted to come to the bout with me. didn't think she was the type. she's much more sensible & grown up than me. she's gonna start training soon too, she's just got the gear etc.. it was weird going to a sporting event (me, the least sporty person in the world!) but goddamn i love derby. i also went up 2 laps on sunday, despite falling over and having serious trouble getting back up! i did almost 22 laps (21 3/4) in five minutes. need to be able to do 25 to qualify, as i may have mentioned. go me. the fact that demi loosened my wheels up a bit may have helped. i'm hella useless at hip checks though.

sorry about the crappy photo quality, but grrrls moving real fast indoors isn't the best conditions for my little pocket camera.

No comments: